Saturday 3 November 2007

The silver screen salutation

Ladies and gentlemen, may I declare Stardust...the best movie this year! Seriously, I left the cinema seat feeling the way I felt when I finished Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

Fantasy and action thrillers are my favourite movie genres but when comedy does it part well in these two genres...baby, you (the movie) have won my heart. Nope, pun not intended.

Gosh where do I even begin to spoil the movie for you...

Let me introduce the quirks you should look out for :
The Old Guard who appears in the first scene. Never found out why he was designated to guard the portal to the other world, Stormhold, but watch out for his second and third appearances later on where he'll surprise you with some combat and apparent cowardice. Haha, makes for a good laugh!

Then there's the Lightning Traders (is that what they're called?) with Robert De Niro as the supposedly fearsome Captain Shakespeare. Brush aside your first impression of the sky sailors, they have a wicked sense of humour that unveils itself towards the climax of the story. Captain Shakespeare is actually a gay (?) and softie but because he thought he had to safeguard his fearsome reputation he goes all out to act merciless. Unknown to him, his whole crew actually knows that he's not scary! And everyone just played along to uphold the reputation of their captain. De Niro sure cracked me up with his portrayal of a self-deceiving character.

Watch out for curious names like Ditchwater Sal, Una, Primus, Secundus, Tertius, yada yada, Septimus which are kinda ridiculous but at least they help keep the audience on track with the many many characters.

Oh, and not forgetting Michelle Pfeiffer! As pek-chek as she can get in her hunt for the star that fell from the night sky, the story had to see her witch character make fun of herself. When you see the bunch of hair just coming off her head and her boobs suddenly greeting her stomach, you'll understand what I mean.

I saw the movie poster and I'd never thought this movie was going to be somewhat hilarious like Pirates but, gee, in all of the seriousness of the battles and importance of keeping the fallen star, Yvaine, safe there lie sprinkles of witty lines and unexpected comedy. Boy does it make the whole ride a good laugh and fantasy!

Despite a few minor plots going on in the story, the audience won't be lost because everything is well played out, coming and going at the right instances.

I salute the cast, crew and the novel (yes, Stardust is based on a novel). Now this is what movies should be like. Movie-magic justice well served 'cos I don't regret any buck I spent on it. Even Jason Bourne can't beat this. Personally, Stardust makes me wanna fall in love. It's so fantastic I'm considering getting the novel and maybe the DVD as well.

And yeah, Charlie Cox looks way better on screen than in still pictures.

EVERYONE GO WATCH THIS ONE-HECK OF A MARVELOUS MOVIE!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.