Wednesday 18 April 2007

Liberty- captured

Yes, I'm in my study week and much to what a study week suggests, I am well supposed to be studying for my finals...but the mind is fickle, I have the attention span of a 60-second minute. Tsk tsk tsk.

So there I was looking up stuff on photography three days ago and I came upon Gerhardt Thompson. I may not be especially interested in nude art but his work is, um, liberal. Really. I had thought some of his photos had me thinking that no law exists in those lands or waters. Art, yes, art is the key word.

There's this one photo of a lady (free of clothing of course) half-jumping in a wide empty field and I thought I would have fallen in love with its expression! It was just so...unrestrained! She was so liberated. And I could feel the breeze from the field in my mind O.o Now that's good photography.

Anyways, I wanted to capture that expression, that liberty, in my own interpretation. Of course I couldn't just run out of my hostel room, grab a female as my model and start taking photos of liberty with my 1.3 mega pixel handphone camera. I didn't have that liberty...yet (maybe). So I ended up spending half an afternoon working some Macromedia Fireworks on the photo.

As much as I am a feminist and my views in congruent with this poster:


I do know it is also very true that Michealangelo's David:



is very much a David (read: it's a masculine name).

The combination of trying to alleviate my self-contradiction (this kind of photography can appear to be a form of female exploitation) and a first-time dabble with Macromedia Fireworks resulted in this:



I will not post the original photo, Brumby Queen, here as I respect readers with potentially ultra-sensitive eyesight. The original and Gerhardt's other works can be viewed here and here.

NO PLAGIARISM INTENDED, GERHARDT THOMPSON IS CREDITED FOR HIS PHOTOGRAPHY.

No comments: